Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Stud Mill Road

Wendy and I went out last Sunday to try and wrap up all the caches on the Stud Mill Road we missed or logged DNF's for during July. Once again, we saw nothhing in regards to large animals. At one of the locations, Wendy almost stepped on a snake but that was the extent of the wildlife. We ended up with only 32 for the day but could have had more. We were under time constraints and had to cut the trip early to make in back to Bangor / Brewer and ended up being late. I think I used more gas coming back from GC1TMA3 at 90mph all along Route 9 than I did all day along all the side roads off the Stud Mill Rd.
Here's Wendy reaching for Clifford Lake Scenic View...
On the quick walk up to the cache, I picked up what I thought was a piece of trash that had the Avery TM logo on the back and I remember thinking it was odd that stationary would be out here. I picked it up and it was preprinted log stickers from Cano with his QR Code logo on it. Apparently he was out here logging caches at the same time and we just hadn't run into him.

Here's a view of the lake from a little beach area. I put my hands in and it was nice and cold as expected. I half expected my hands to have a lake water smell but the water was crystal clear and looked like you could just drink it up.

There were several spots on the little side roads I probably shouldn't have taken my Passat but did anyway. I mean, c'mon, its for a cache. They really weren't that bad, it was just nothing you really ought to be taking a front wheel drive car designed for the road through. This was one of the spots just before the Clifford Lake area where the road was washed out. I stopped to think about it for a minute, realized if we went through, we didn't have to come back this way, and went for it. This was a picture of afterwards. I did bottom out in the middle but kept on going. There wasn't enough flow there to pull of us off the road or anything but if you stopped in the middle, you might have sunk into the soft parts.


This was the view around GC16VGB. Not much out here but downed trees but the cache was dedicated to a great Red Sox player of the past that I remember seeing play when I was a kid so well worth getting.

After stopping to get a cache off another side road, GCTRAR, I decided to let the other cars out on the road know what we were doing incase they saw the car randomly parked along the way.

I had to actually act like a troll to get this one and luckily stayed dry in the process. I was able to grab the ammo can and toss it to safety, then we logged it and I was able to balance on a couple rocks to get it back into its location. This was found at GC1BFWM. There is a small beaver dam at the location and they had taken this tree down.
Here's a couple of shots of the river at GC1TK0E. We missed this one the first time and made sure to get it this trip.

I had caught a glimps of this sign the first time we were up here but were in a hurry to get caches. This time was a little less of a rush even though we were under time constraints so I stopped.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I had fun. Very surprised how well your car handled the SMR. :) Next time let's do some harder ones ;) Maybe if we go deeper into the woods we'll see something larger than a chipmunk.