Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Caching and Bugs

Went for a couple of caches last night as I really had nothing else do to. I headed up to Orono to try and clear off a few that I had been near before or started but didn't get a chance to finish. The first one I went to was a multi stage cache called Stacked on Stillwater.
I had started this one before but not finished it and lost my coords for the following stage. Upon revisiting it, I found that the brick that has the coords for the next stage is missing so I couldn't do it and had to move on to something else. I decided to go a little further to Old Town. I walked out on a trail for a cache called Old Town in a Nut Shell and found that one rather quickly. Looking at the GPS, there was another cache about a quarter mile further down the trail. As I preceeded down the trail I was mostly looking to my right as I followed the river and only randomly glancing off to the left up into the woods. One of my leftward glances ended up scaring the crap out of me as I was right next to a very large bees nest. I quickly backed up as it wasn't quite late enough for them to be dormant and they were the nasty yellow jackets, not your plain old honey bees. I was caching alone and no one knew where I exactly I was so I didn't want to mess with going past the nest and having to come back later possibly forgetting where it was.

Because I absolutely hate bees or really any bugs with stingers, pinchers, or to many eyes and antennae than anyone one being should have, I wanted to destroy the nest. My first thought was pick up a rock and heave it at the nest and then run like hell but my second thought was a vision of McCauley Caulkin in the movie My Girl doing the exact same thing and dying because of it. Not fun, because again, no one really knew exactly where I was. I got my camera ready to start taking some pictures when my phone started playing the Transformers sound I have as my message ringtone. Aaaggh...What if they are decepticons and the sound will alert them and send them after me! Sent back "Shhhh. You'll wake them..." half kiddingly..
Being to worried about the nastys coming after me, I turned and went for another cache. I drove to the Bradley side of the river and grabbed a cache called Sandy's Got a Point. It was 8:30 and getting pretty dark so I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get this one either. I headed off into a small stand of woods above the river getting a few spider webs in the face as I went along, I spotted the cache at the base of a tree. Had a hard time not spotting it as it was a huge Tidy Cat litter bucket. Even though it was dark and painted camo, the shape was easy to spot. Time to head home.
Getting back to the apartment, Wendy had the Stephen King movie "The Mist" on. Jesus...more big bugs tearing into people. Luckily this was prior to the caching as had I seen this first, I wouldn't have gone.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Hey, at least you missed the part of the movie that creeped me out with all the spiders...I'm really glad you didn't throw a rock at that nest...